Ubuntu 20.04 - OSError: cannot load library libvips.so.42 when initiating Remo

I get an error when I run python -m remo_app init :
OSError: cannot load library 'libvips.so.42': /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librsvg-2.so.2: undefined symbol: cairo_tag_end. Additionally, ctypes.util.find_library() did not manage to locate a library called 'libvips.so.42'

no problem running Remo via docker though. Does anybody has a hint on how to resolve the above error? I rather have Remo installed via pip.

Hi @elmourr!

We haven’t seen this error before. It seems related to installing libvips library.

I found this github issue where somebody found a workaround, maybe it can help?

Thanks Andrea - I’ve came across that thread as well. I tried the solution there to manually to copy the libvips.so.42 & librsvg-2.so.2 to the env without success.

Libvips can be a bit painful :slight_smile:

What I would suggest is to try and install it separately, check that it works from Python (it gets called from pyvips) and only then install Remo.

To check that it works, you can run something like this:

import pyvips

image = pyvips.Image.new_from_file('some-image.jpg', access='sequential')
image *= [1, 2, 1]
mask = pyvips.Image.new_from_array([[-1, -1, -1],
                                    [-1, 16, -1],
                                    [-1, -1, -1]
                                   ], scale=8)
image = image.conv(mask, precision='integer')
image.write_to_file('x.jpg')

A possible starting points to install it could be to use venv instead of conda envs…maybe pyvips like it more.

We tested installation with Ubuntu 20 in the past, and it worked fine - we might do another check at some point.

Keep us posted, happy to try and help!

Thanks again & I can now confirm that i had better success in installing remo via venv rather then conda.

1 Like

@elmourr awesome! Thanks to you for reporting back, maybe it will help somebody else :slight_smile: